Immigration to another country is one of the most crucial decisions of a person’s life. Getting settled in a totally new country may require you to face some initial challenges and expert advice will make all the difference between success and failure. It is very important to follow the immigration procedure accurately for making it a success.
What is Australia Permanent Residency?
Australia Permanent Residency Visa (PR) is a type of visa given to foreign nationals on meeting the justified criteria by the immigration authority of Australia. An Australian PR (permanent resident) is a non-citizen of Australia, who can live, work and study in Australia just like an Australian citizen without any restrictions.
The permanent residency of Australia and citizenship has differences in cases of international travels and voting.
Australia Permanent Residency Visa and Eligibility Criteria
The immigration process of Australia is based on a certain points system. For someone, who is interested to apply for Australian Permanent Residency Visa, it is mandatory to follow the point based system. The point test system is only applicable to some of the categories and not all of them.
Subclass 189, 190, and 489 under skilled migration are point tested and the minimum requirement is 65. In business migration only two streams in subclass 188 are points tested and the minimum score requirement is 65.
The calculation of points varies for each visa and subclass. Greater the points, the stronger would be your permanent visa application case.
Points Test (only for subclass 189, 190 and 489)
The Australian Immigration Authorities have a clear and concise method of weighing your credentials while granting you Australia Permanent Residency Visa. The factors on which you are assigned points are:
- Age: You should be below 45 years of age to get Australian PR.
- Skills: Your skills are your greatest markers for PR visa application. Every year, the Immigration and Border Protection Department of Australia releases an updated list of skill sets that are highly rated in Australia or in any of its regions.
If the skills, you have nominated are in the regional or Australian highly rated skills list, you are more likely to get an invitation for visa application and approval thereof for permanent residency in Australia.
- English language proficiency: The minimum requirement for making a valid application for Australia PR visa is competent English, whose details is as follows:
- IELTS – The minimum requirement is 6 points for listening, reading, writing, and speaking skills.
- TOEFL IBT – The minimum requirements for listening skills is 12, reading skills is 13, writing skills is 21, and speaking skills is 18 points.
- PTE Academic – The minimum requirement for listening, speaking, writing, and reading skills is 50 points.
- CAE – The minimum requirement for listening, writing, speaking, and reading skills is 169 points.
- Academic qualification: Your academic qualification (accredited in Australia or overseas) is counted by the points test.
- Profession: Your occupation will not offer you points, but will surely give your application an edge over the others. It is because points are awarded based on the number of years of ‘recognized experience’ that you have in that occupation. Most importantly, it is mandatory to nominate any occupation from one of the lists (MLTSSL or STSOL or ROL), which not necessarily will give you points then.
Pre-requisites to Applying for Australian PR:
Note: These are the pre-requisites for Points tested Skilled Migration Visas.
Before actually applying for Australia PR, we will inform you on arranging necessary documents and appearing for online procedures.
- Necessary Documents:There is going to be some paper work before you embark on visa application for your permanent residency status in Australia.
- Academic qualification certifications
- Employment documents
- Travel documents
- Skill assessment document
- English language proficiency test (IELTS) score
- Applicable category of migration:We also stated earlier in this post, a list of different migration visas that can be opted for Australia PR. We will advise you on applicability and selection of migration visas.
- Nomination of Skills:The skill sets that you possess should be nominated from the list of Skilled Occupation List (SOL) provided by Department of Immigration and Border Protection, Australia. Nominating skills is applicable to people intending to apply for permanent residency visa under skilled or business migrations category.
- Expression of Interest:Again, this is mentioned for skilled and business migration category. You will need to express your interest to work and live in Australia through ‘Skill Select’, an online platform.
An expression of interest is not a visa application.
Your Expression of Interest is reviewed by the immigration authorities of Australia and a nomination from a state, an Australian employer, or the Australian Government is extended to you, by inviting you to lodge your visa application with the concerned immigration department.
- Health Check-up:As an applicant for Australia PR visa, you should provide your medical health check-up certificates to prove you are in good health and medically fit for the application.
- Character Verification: The character verification is an important prerequisite for applying for permanent residency visa in Australia.
- National Security:Your candidature is checked for probable threat for national security.
Application for Australia PR Process from India
- As explained above, once you express your interest through ‘SkillSelect’, you will have to wait for the response from immigration authorities of Australia then.
- If your Expression of Interest is shortlisted by the immigration office of Australia, you will be invited to lodge your visa application under the migration category of your choice.
- You will need to submit your duly filled visa application along with necessary documents (mentioned above in Prerequisites) within 60 days of receiving an invitation from the immigration office of Australia.
- Once your visa application for Australia permanent residency is approved and you begin to get thrilled for making Australia your new home, you would want to know what welfares you are entitled for with Australian Permanent Resident.
Time taken to process immigration applications to Australia:
- The processing time for immigration applications entirely depends upon the type of migration visa you are opting for. Permanent Residency visa for Australia take more time and is subjected to the availability of places in that migration category only.
Factors that decide processing time:
- All the necessary documents are submitted along with completed application form
- Your response to additional information queries by immigration office
- Time taken to verify the details provided by you for the same
- Verification with external institutions on your character, health and national security fronts
- Audit of work references
Welfare Aids for Permanent Resident Holders of Australia:
- Lifetime residence: You are now entitled to live and work in Australia for a lifetime!
- Australian citizenship: Your child/ children born in Australia, will be Australian citizens by default.
- Free exit and entry to Australia: As an Australia PR, for the first 5 years you can freely exit and enter Australia. After which, you will need to renew your re-entry permission unless you have applied for and have acquired citizenship. This is subject to your meeting the criteria for this category.
- Health and legal rights and services: After you get your Australia permanent residency, you are considered on par with Australian citizens and you are entitled to health grants as well as legal aids as an Australian citizen.
- Upgrade to citizenship: After living in Australia as a permanent resident for the stipulated time, you can apply for Australian citizenship provided you meet all other requirements for the citizenship application
- Live in Australia: After obtaining the Government of Australia’s permission, you can reside, get employment or study in Australia.