- The degree awarded from the university and college is world wide recognized.
- Canada has one of the best educational systems in the world and this combined with its wonderful multicultural cosmopolitan attitude makes it an excellent destination for international students to come and further their education.
- Degrees from Canadian institutes are internationally recognized, and there is a diverse range of courses on offer from marine biology through to accountancy. Canadaalso has a number of excellent opportunities for language courses, and you can choose between both French and English as your main language of instruction, and students often benefit from taking an additional language course alongside their main degree or diploma.
Canada is a very safe, stable country and has an excellent health care system, and the educational and living costs are relatively low compared to other English speaking countries, so this is an ideal place for international students to come and enhance their learning.
- There are more than 150,000 international students who go to Canada every year to study. International students bring a rich culture to the classrooms.
- Canadian universities and colleges are respected worldwide for their high quality of education.
- Tuition fees for international students in Canada, and the cost of living, are among the lowest in the world.
- Eligible students can gain valuable Canadian work experience through off campus employment.
- Canada ranks among the most multicultural nations in the world. Regardless of ethnic origin, students feel at home in our diverse communities and campuses.
- According to the United Nations, Canada offers one of the highest standards for quality of life in the world.
- Canada is a federation of ten provinces & three territories
- It is a multicultural country and is considered to be a safe, clean and peaceful country
- Canada has been ranked as one of best place to live on the globe according to the United Nations and is the second largest country in world after Russia
- Canada is a geographically vast country and offers diverse cultures within its borders
Major Regions/ Cities
Canada’s capital is Ottawa, but the largest city in Canada is Toronto (ON, Canada), following by Montréal & Quebec City (QC, Canada) and then Vancouver (BC, Canada). Other major cities in Canada are: Victoria (BC, Canada), Abbotsford, BC, Edmonton (AB, Canada), Calgary (AB, Canada) and Winnipeg (MB, Canada), Charlottetown, PEI, Halifax, NS. The Largest province in Canada is Quebec. However the largest population is in Ontario with capital city of Toronto whose population is almost half of the population in Ontario.
- Alberta: ED Stelmach
- British Columbia: Gordon Campbell
- Saskatchewan: Brad Wall
- Manitoba: Gary Doer
- Ontario: Dalton McGuinty
- Quebec: Jean Charest
- New Brunswick: Shawn Graham
- Nova Scotia: Rodney McDonald
- Prince Edward Island: Robert Ghiz
- Newfoundland & Labrador: Danny Williams
- Yukon: Dennis Fentie
- North West Territories: Edna Molewa
- Nunavut: Paul Okalik
- Education in Canada is provided, funded and overseen by provincial, and local governments.
- Education constitutionally provincial responsibility and rigorously guarded
- International education/student recruitment increasing priority
- Provincial policy approach mainly “holistic” but with strong international student recruitment emphasis
Types of Canadian Institutions:
- K-12- Schools
- University Colleges
- Community Colleges
- Career College
- Language schools
Small, medium, large institutions
- 3- and 4-year degrees, Master’s, PhDs, Professional
- Research intensive
- Fixed Admission requirements
- One to Two intakes primarily-Sept/Jan
- Over 90 Universities in Canada
University College Features:
- Offers University degrees as well as college diplomas and certificate programs.
- They may also offer combined degree diploma programs and university transfer programs.
- Their strong student support services, small classes and strong campus environment distinguish University Colleges.
- Many converted to Universities now
Community Colleges Features:
- Diploma Certificate, Applied Degree programs, university transfer
- College, Institute of Technology, Cégep
- 135 across Canada
Very engaged internationally
- Programs industry driven, hands on Since they prepare a student to be job ready many Indian students are attracted to applying to Community Colleges in Canada.
Career College Features:
- Short-term, specialized training
- Focus on popular subject areas
- Almost all are private
- Business, Technology, Service Industries, Arts
- Across Canada
Coopertive Education Features:
- Earn While You Learn
- Co-op students are allowed work for the designated terms
- Institutions help you obtain employment authorization to work
Definitions of degrees
- Bachelors or Undergraduate Undergraduate programs leading to a bachelor’s degree generally require three or four years of full-time study, depending on the province.
- Master’s or Graduate Studies or Post Graduate Diploma Master’s degrees generally require at least 2 years of full-time studies including a thesis (a long essay based on original research), practicum or research paper.
- Doctoral, or PhD Doctoral programs require a minimum of 2-5 years of full-time study.
University / Community Colleges September/ January January is an on demand intake for popular courses
Jan / April / May / Sept
Part time work during studies
Students are allowed to work part time 20 hours per week on campus/ off campus and full time during holidays while studying the course.
In Canada, minimum wages varies in different provinces. Under the Constitution of Canada, the responsibility for enacting and enforcing labour law including minimum wages in Canada rests with the ten provinces. Minimum wages varies between 8 – 10.25 cd$ per hour depending upon the province.
Work opportunities after studies
A Post-Graduation Work Permit cannot be valid longer than the length of time you studied in Canada. For example, students graduating from a four-year degree program might be eligible for a three-year year work permit. Students graduating from an eight-month certificate program would only be eligible for a work permit of eight months.
Diploma and Bachelor degrees: IELTS 6.0/ 6.5 band with no band less than 5.5/ 6.0 Graduate Diploma and Post Graduate Diploma: 6.0/ 6.5 band Masters degrees: 6.5 band with no band less than 6.0